Steven Stein is a leading authority in construction law and specializes in the trial and arbitration of complex design and construction matters. He also works extensively in the drafting and negotiation of design and construction related agreements.
- Editor-in-Chief of the nation's leading treatise on Construction Law, Stein "Construction Law" (Mathew Bender, 1986, supplemented annually, 4 volumes);
- Editor-in-Chief of the American Institute of Architects' Legal Citator;
- Editor-in-Chief of the Lexis Publishing’s Monthly Reporter Construction Law Digest;
- Since 2003, Mr. Stein was ranked first among leading individuals practicing construction law by Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers and in the Top 5% of Lawyers in Illinois according to the Leading Lawyers Network. The 2006 Chambers, a leader in lawyer evaluation, nominated Mr. Stein as one of the six best construction lawyers in the United States.
- In 2009, Mr. Stein was one of only five construction lawyers recognized nationally by Legal 500 and identified by clients as "the best construction lawyer in the country." In 2012, Legal 500 listed Mr. Stein as one of eleven leading construction lawyers in the country.
- For the last several years, Who's Who of Business Lawyers publications has recognized Mr. Stein as one of the top ten construction lawyers in the world. Since 2005, Mr. Stein has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Lawyers in America. Illinois Super Lawyers has recognized Mr. Stein as one of its top 100 vote recipients for many years.
- PLC's cross-border handbook "Construction and Projects" gave Mr. Stein its highest possible rating as a worldwide leading lawyer.
- Adjunct Professor at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, where he has taught Construction Law since 1982;
- In 2009-2010, Mr. Stein served as President of the American College of Construction Lawyers, the only restricted membership organization of construction lawyers in the United States.
- A Founding Fellow of the International Academy of Construction Lawyers. Mr. Stein will become its President in 2020.
- Member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers; and Lecturer at the University of Illinois School of Architecture, Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management and the University of Illinois Department of Structural Engineering.
Service to the Industry
Mr. Stein is past President of the Chicago Building Congress, and former Board member of the American College of Construction Lawyers, and a former Board member of the Builders Association of Greater Chicago and the Construction Specifications Institute - Chicago Chapter. He is currently a Trustee of the Chicago Architecture foundation, where he formerly was Chairman of the Board.
Contributions to construction law literature made by Mr. Stein include:
- Co-author of "The Total Cost Method: Is It Dead Yet? A Cross-Jurisdictional Comparative Analysis," The International Construction Law Review (2016);
- Co-author of "The Illusions of Additional Insured Coverage," The Construction Lawyer (2014);
- "Bid Protests in the United States," Construction Law International (2014);
- "Shooting From 'Downtown': Maximizing Termination Damages", ABA Construction Program (2013);
- "A Comparison of ConcensusDOCS to the AIA Form Construction Contract Agreement," The Construction Lawyer (2009);
- "Advanced Analysis of Contract Risk-Shifting Provisions: Is Indemnity Still Relevant?" The Construction Lawyer (2007);
- "Design Professional Liability for Differing Site Conditions and the Risk-Sharing Philosophy," The Construction Lawyer (2000);
- "Enforcing Letters of Intent and Handshake Agreements," The Construction Lawyer (2000);
- "Manual for Revisions to AIA A201 General Conditions" (1988 and 1997);
- "Legal Issues in the Design Practice" (chapter of New Dimensions in Architecture and Engineering Practice) (1992);
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Construction Industry" (1991);
- "Enforcing Arbitration" (chapter of Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Construction Industry) (1991);
- "Illinois Private and Public Bonding" (1988);
- "Professional Liability Management for Design Firms" (1987);
- "Illinois Construction Law and Mechanics Liens" (1987);
- "Blueprint for the Liabilities of Design Professionals After Moorman", Chicago-Kent Law Review (1984);
- Co-authored "Injured Workman: Loss Allocation Among Director Participants in the Construction Process", St. Louis University Law Review (1979);
Mr. Stein has made presentations about design and construction law on over one hundred twenty five occasions coast-to-coast.
Professional, Business and Civic Affiliations
- International Academy of Construction Lawyers, Founding Fellow and Officer
- Charted Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow
- International Bar Association, Member of ICP Committee (Co-Chair, Dispute Resolution Subcommittee), 2010-2012
- The American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation, Member of Committee on Construction Contracts
- The American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, Former Member of Steering Committee, Division 8
- Associated General Contractors of America, Member of Documents Committee
- Chicago Building Congress, Member of Board of Directors, 1990-1993, President 1993-1995
- Builders’ Association of Chicago, Member of Board of Directors, 1991-1993, Co-Chairman of Legal Affairs Committee, 1986-1996
- Construction Specifications Institute, Member of Board of Directors, 1985-1988
- Design-Build Institute of America’s Great Lakes Chapter, Treasurer, 2001, 2002
- Design-Build Institute of America’s Great Lakes Chapter, President, 2001, 2003
- Charitable boards
Mr. Stein received his law degree in 1976 from the University of Chicago and his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1973. He is a member of the Illinois, Wisconsin and U.S. Supreme Court Bars.